Wednesday, September 14, 2016

#79 See the Gateway Arch

While we were in St. Louis, I wanted to see the Gateway Arch. After researching it, the Arch was a short walk from Busch Stadium.



After the game, we walked over to the Old Courthouse which was being used as the staging point for the Gateway Arch since the Arch Complex was under construction. For $3/person, we would be able to enter the complex. If we wanted to pay $13/person we could go up in the Arch. I had no desire to ride the tram to the top of the Arch even though, as one friend said, it gave us a new perspective of Busch Stadium. For $30/person we could have taken Riverboat Cruise and gone up in the Arch.



The rotunda of the Old Courthouse was amazing. The hubby liked the Old Courthouse better than the Arch itself. We didn’t take the time to view the exhibits that were on display from the Museum of Westward Expansion. I would have liked to check them out but due to time constraints, we skipped those. There was a movie on the construction of the Arch but we had no desire to see that either.




From everything I read, it seemed like it was a short hike to the Arch from the Old Courthouse. It turns out if you go out the back door of the Old Courthouse and cross the street, you are at the Arch. To get to the front side of the Arch is a bit of a walk. I had no desire to walk anymore in the heat and decided that it was not really any different from the back side than the front side. We could have saved ourselves the $6 if knew this.

The hubby forgot to move his finger

Unless your bucket list specifically says “See the xxx” and you are open to the vagueness of the word “See”, I would suggest actually walking the extra couple blocks and view the Arch from the front. You probably should ride the tram to the top too. Me, I’m simple… seeing the Arch was enough for me. Maybe one day, I’ll do the Riverboat Cruise or at least walk to the front of the Arch but I’ll probably never go up in the Arch…it just doesn’t interest me like I’ll probably never go up in the Washington Monument in DC either.

No comments:

Post a Comment