Saturday, December 9, 2023

7097. Make hot chocolate bombs

 I love my hot chocolate especially peppermint hot chocolate. Mom gave me a hot chocolate bomb once and it was fine. I just prefer someone else to make hot chocolate for me. Last year in one of my Brenda Novak book box we got hot chocolate bomb molds. I put it in my cupboard and forgot about it. Then for my birthday Heather gave me a Hot Cocoa Bomb Cookbook and more molds plus the candy melts to make them. I guess I was going to take attempt making my own hot chocolate bombs.

Ingredients and Materials

  • Hot Chocolate Bomb Molds -- Mine were silicon
  • Candy Melts -- You could use straight up chocolate but that requires tempering. Don't use chocolate chips. Heather gave me Wilton Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate ones. I picked up milk chocolate ones at the Bulk Food Store. I preferred the ones at the bulk food store. The melted so much nicer.




  • A Silicon brush
  • Hot chocolate mix -- I used premade mix Janis gave me the other year and I also made mine own. You can also use store bought hot chocolate mix
  • Fillers -- Crushed candy canes, chocolate chips, Sprinkles, crushed Oreos. The recipe book gave a lot of unique suggestions. Basically think of the flavor you want and you can add extras that have that flavor
  • A Cookie Sheet or other oven safe plan
Steps

    1. Melt the candy melts in the microwave per the directions


    2. Pour about a tablespoon or two into the mold. Do one mold at a time


    3. Brush the chocolate up the sides of the mold making sure you no longer see the mold. Try to catch the "holes" at this step. It is much harder to fix later.



    4. Stick in the fridge for 5 minute

    5. Pop the shells out of the molds. This was way easier than expected. They really do just pop out.



    6. Check for holes -- If you find holes, put the shell back in the mold and brush chocolate over the hole and chill for 5 minutes again.

    7. Put your cookie sheet in a warm oven. I just set my oven to warm.
 
    8. Put about 1-2 Tablespoons of hot chocolate mix in half the shells. Remember you have tops and bottoms.


 
    9. Add your fillers to fill the shell. If it is over the top, it's fine because remember you are putting another shell on top

    10. Take your cookie sheet out of the oven. 

    11. Take one of the empty shells and swirl it around the warm cookie sheet a few times to melt the edge



    12. Press the two halves together to close the bomb

    13. Let sit until you are ready to use in airtight container. The cookbook says best to use within 1-2 weeks



    14. Enjoy in a cup of hot chocolate

Tips and takeaways
  1. Fix those holes before you fill them. 
  2. If you don't fill your holes before you fill your shells, chocolate chips make great sealants. Just cover the hole with chocolate and add a chocolate chip. Now you have monster hot chocolate bombs.
  3. Use more chocolate than you think when making the shells
Flavors I made
  • Dark Chocolate Peppermint -- Crushed candy canes
  • Milk Chocolate Chocolate Chip -- Mini Chocolate Chips and Christmas Sprinkles
  • White Chocolate Oreo -- Crushed Oreos

It was a fun. I will be curious to see how they taste. Maybe I will make them a yearly Christmas tradition. Maybe it was a one time thing. 

Hot Chocolate Mix
4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder -- I used Dark Cocoa
4 Tablespoons Sugar
A few grains of sugar
Mix together. It makes about 6 hot chocolate bombs

No comments:

Post a Comment