Friday, January 22, 2021

6551. Indulge in a Hot Chocolate Bomb

 Hot chocolate bombs are a big food trend in 2020. Why I am not really sure. It is really just a chocolate ball filled marshmallows and cocoa. When you pour hot milk over the ball, the chocolate milk melts and releases goodies inside. Many places are selling them at $5 or more dollars a bomb. You can buy a mold on Amazon for about $8 and that allows you to make 12 bombs.

I've been dying to try a hot chocolate bomb. I saw that SAG and Brewed Awakenings in Appleton were selling them. Then I saw that Doughlicious got on the bandwagon and was selling. Their price was the cheapest I saw and decided that I needed to pick one up. So I did.

After sitting on the counter for a month, I decided it was time to give this hot chocolate bomb thing a try. There were successes and failures in this attempt.

Mistake #1 -- I didn't warm the milk enough nor did I warm it up in a measuring cup. So pouring the warm milk from one mug to another made a mess.

Mistake #2 -- I didn't use a big enough mug. I realized the only mug I had that was big enough has never been used and still had the sticker on it. 

The "explosion" was actually pretty neat to watch. The chocolate does break apart and you can see the marshmallows and cocoa mix with the milk. There were actual bubbles. Because I got mint, there were also candy cane bits inside my bomb.

Mistake #3 -- I didn't realize you had to stir the bomb contents after the explosion. I took a few sips and was like this tastes just like warm milk. After a few stirs, it was much better. 


Honestly, hot chocolate bombs are nothing special. It is a fun food fad but at the price, I can have Starbucks make me a peppermint hot chocolate and it comes with whipped cream. I will not pass one up if some gives me one but I probably not go out of my way to get another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment