Sunday, April 23, 2023

5461. See the Starin Park Water Tower in Whitewater

The hubby had softball in Whitewater and I came with so we could go to Wedl's Hamburgers for dinner. It was not a pleasant day to sit outside so I spent most of the time in the car. Trying to figure out where to walk, I saw on Googlemaps, there was a water tower close by and it looked interesting. So that's where I headed.

Starin Park Water Tower is the second oldest operating municipal water tower in Wisconsin and located on the UW-Whitewater campus. It was built in 1889 out of limestone. It has an octagonal base that tapers as you go up. At the top of the 80 foot stone tower, is a 20 foot tall steel water tank.



It is quite impressive and was pretty easy to find especially since it is 100 feet tall. It is well kept in a beautiful park. I just didn't except is giant stone water tower in the middle of a college campus. Considering this is not my first time at UW-Whitewater for softball, I'm surprised I didn't find it sooner.




It was just over a mile round trip from the football stadium to the water tower and back if you walk the entire trail around the park. I definitely got my work out in with the hills. I am glad though it was not a nice day otherwise I'm sure the park would be packed with students hanging out and I would have felt weird wandering through to take a picture of a water tower.


No comments:

Post a Comment