Friday, March 24, 2023

Hanging with Sloths at the Milwaukee Public Museum

 When the  hubby saw that Milwaukee Public Museum is moving to a new location and not all the exhibits were moving as they are now, he said we should go to the museum. I didn't both telling him we had 3 years to do this since when the hubby wants to do something I'm going to do it as soon as possible to avoid him changing his mind. I also decided we need to go before May 19th so I could see the sloths. 

The Milwaukee Public Museum is open Wednesday through Monday 10-5. The Survival of the Slowest exhibit is there until May 19th and is included in admission. Admission is $24/adult which includes the Survival of the Slowest exhibit. There is no ticket without the Survival of the Slowest. We got our tickets online to avoid the lines.

I forgot that we are going on a Friday afternoon and school groups could be a problem. The things you don't think of when you don't have kids. Luckily for us by the time we got there most of the schools groups were ready to leave. Just remember if you are going during the week, you may encounter school groups. 

When we got to the museum, we decided to work our way up from bottom to top with our first stop being the Streets of Old Milwaukee and European Village. As a kid you don't pay attention to the details. As an adult I wanted to soak up as many of the little details that wouldn't be coming to the new museum. I never noticed the amount of balconies there were.












We meandered our to through the rainforest. I forgot it makes noise as you walk through it. 

We also went back in time to the dinosaurs. I remember the dinosaur exhibit being scarier and bloodier. I remember being able to see it bite from a better angle. This seems not as violent and the guts seem to be missing. 




I took the hubby in the butterfly exhibit. Unlike the butterflies of Costa Rica, these weren't all that friendly. They did not land on us as easily. Maybe it was just me they didn't like. 





Then we headed up to the second floor to the Survival of the Slowest. I was expecting more sloths but there was only one. He was asleep initially but they do sleep 15 hours a day. He was awake when we were leaving.


Besides the sloth, there were also turtles, snakes, a bearded dragon, and various lizards. The sloth was my favorite.





The rest of floor two was devoted to animals of Wisconsin and North America along with Native Americans. I didn't think they would let me pet the fluffy cows.


The third floor was devoted to people, animals and cultures around the world and throughout history. We explored every nook and cranny we could find. We climbed all the stairs to find the less visited exhibits. I forgot about the oceanic exhibit and how it makes you feel like you exploring the great depths of the ocean just by walking down the ramp.







I forgot how large the museum really was. I am used to the smaller museums in the Fox Valley and the ones we visit while traveling. It is not as some of the Chicago or New York Museums but for Wisconsin it is huge and is full of wonderful artifacts. I will miss the old museum but am looking forward to seeing what the new museum holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment