Saturday, October 1, 2022

Fall Colors in Door County

 The adult Girl Scout troop I found myself a part of wanted to see the fall colors in Peninsula State Park. I will never pass up an opportunity to go to Door County as this was going to be my only chance to get there this year. 

We left from Neenah and headed to Wilson's Restaurant for lunch. I've been to Wilson's for ice cream but never ate there. Once we knew what we wanted to eat, we were allowed inside to order. It is not a large place and to avoid congestion I get this.  I ordered ice cream and a burger. 

Seating is limited and it was a nice day out so we had a picnic lunch by the water. The burger was quite delicious. 


Of course the ice cream was topped with a jelly bean. Wilson's will put a jelly bean in the bottle of their cones to help prevent leakage so it's only natural they top their dishes with one too. This was a single scoop. They have a large scoops. It's one of the many things I liked about Wilson's.

After lunch we headed to Peninsula State Park to view the colors from the Eagle Tower. The colors were just beginning turn. It is always tough to plan when to see fall colors since you never know when they are going start to turn. Parking was a challenge since there really isn't a large parking lot by the tower. We parked down the hill and walked back up.

We walked up the ramp which is wheel chair and walker accessible. 

The view from the top was spectacular as always. It was a clear day so you see several of the islands off the peninsula. I don't think I will ever get sick of this view. It's one of my favorites.






Kathy and I walked down the stairs since she thought it would be easier. I don't mind going down the stairs. I prefer to take the ramp up and go down the stairs. Climbing up the stairs is just a pain.

We ended our day with a quick visit to Lautenbach's Orchard for wine and cherries. I did not taste or get any wine. One day I will need to do this. I did pick up cherries and some dark chocolate covered cherries. It's tough shopping with people you really don't know and don't want to be the one to buy a whole car full of stuff. 

It was a fun day. I definitely need to keep Door County in the Fall as a yearly adventure. The colors and the activities is always worth the drive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment