Friday, May 20, 2022

6679. See a hand bell choir performance

 When I asked my friend, Kris what she had planned for May 20th, she was like hand bell concert. Wanna come? After confirming my plans for the day, I said I would come. 

Kris is part of the Milwaukee Handbell Ensemble and they were just beginning their spring concert series. May 20th was the first concert. It was at St. John's Lutheran Church in Glendale. Tickets were $15/adult and could be bought online or in person. Because of the payment methods involved with buying online, I opted to get them at the door. Kris said there would be plenty available.

A handbell ensemble consists of a group of musicians that ring hand bells of various sizes along with hand chimes. The bells range from tiny to large. Each bell makes an unique note and each ringer usually has a 3-4 different bells they play during a song. They usually ring two bells but depending on the size it can as few as 1 or as many as 4. 


The concert consisted of 13 songs and an intermission. The music was fascinating. I really enjoyed watching the members as they would get their whole bodies involved sometimes. After intermission they stood in the side aisles and performed a song. It was really cool.




I was amazed to see that it was just bells they rang. Sometimes they struck the bell with mallets similar to a timpani. 

Sometimes they rolled a dowel across the rim.

The hand chimes were interesting to watch as well as they came in various sizes. Kris told me after the show they had even bigger ones they didn't use. 

Sometimes they would use a bell and a chime at the same time. It was almost like organized chaos. 

I really enjoyed the concert and glad I made time to go down and see Kris perform. They do have a few more shows coming up yet this spring including one at the Washington House in Two Rivers on June 4th. If you get a chance go check the out. It is a different kind of sound and you'll be amazed what a few bells can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment