Thursday, October 26, 2017

4392. Go to the Concrete Park in Phillips

When I was looking for things to do on our Timm's Hill Trip, I discovered Timm's Hill is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. There is not a lot on my bucket list in the Northwoods because there is not anything up there. Looking at the map, I saw we were only about 30 minutes south of Phillips which is the home of the Concrete Park. I figured if we were this far north, we might as well as check it out. 



The Concrete Park is a collection of folk art figures and bas relief slabs created by Fred Smith. He started created these creations in 1936. He created people and animals out of concrete and broken beer bottles. Fred Smith had a strange hobby after he retired and since he couldn't read or write, he dictated to a scribe about some of his sculptures.



The hubby said it was the strangest thing he ever saw. It is definitely strange especially since it literally pops up in the middle of nowhere in this county park. I have to admit it is well kept up but there is no rhyme or reason to what goes where. Of course I would have loved to explore the trails but the hubby was sitting in the car rolling his eyes at this crazy stop.





Instead of exploring the actual park, I took some time and checked out the sculptures. And I wasn't the only one. Another older couple was there as well. Some of the sculptures were very interesting and yet others made complete sense. He liked Cowboys and Indians.. and beer. 








I'm glad we don't go to far out of our way to cross this off the bucket list. It is definitely strange but it is worth the visit if you are ever North of Hwy 8. Just don't climb on the statues as they have bottles and glass sticking out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment