Thursday, October 26, 2017

4382. Go to Timm’s Hill in Price County

The hubby doesn't have many places he wants to see or go that aren't sports related but Timm's Hill in Price County probably was on the top of this list. Timm's Hill is the highest point in Wisconsin and is only about 2.5-3 hours from here. Since I had a day off we decided to go for a drive to see Timm's Hill.



Timm's Hill is located outside of Ogema in Timm's Hill County Park. At an elevation of 1,951 it is higher than Rib Mountain but is not an immense land form. We were higher driving in the mountains of Pennsylvania this summer by almost a 1000 feet. Because of the dense forest and winding roads, it really doesn't rise above the landscape like Rib Mountain, Mosquito Hill, or even that random Hill near Waupaca.

To reach Timm's Hill, we entered the county park on a 1 lane road that wound its way through the park past a lake to a parking lot. It was a short 1/4 miles (or so) hike to the top of the hill. I have hiked steeper, harder trails and found this one to be relatively easy -- the hubby didn't think so. For those people who are out of shape, there are plenty of benches along the short trail to sit, rest, and observe nature.



On the top of Timm's Hill is a rickety observation tower that supposedly has views up to 30 miles. I couldn't tell you. I chickened out about a third of the way up. The tower was swaying in the wind. I made it up one more flight of stairs than the hubby. Besides it was a cloudy and windy (and I wasn't dressed for the weather). Sure I would have liked to see the view from the top but to see trees, trees, and more trees really was worth a shaky, solo climb. If the hubby (or someone else) would have made it to the top, I would have sucked it up and made it too.






I would love to have explored more of the trails but the hubby is not a hiker or nature guy. So back to the car we went and headed out the park.




It wasn't quite what I expected. I was expecting this looming hill that we could have seen driving up but it was still impressive. I can now say I've been to the highest point in Wisconsin. I just wish the fall colors would have been at their peak yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment