Saturday, May 27, 2017

#6040. Have Hawaiian Ice

I have had snow cones in the past and really wasn't a fan. They are messy in their little paper cones, hard to eat because of the ice. However that didn't stop me from wanting to try Hawaiian or shaved ice. There are a couple stands around the area. A Hawaiian Ice Truck can usually be found at a couple of baseball tournaments each summer but are usually surrounded by a mob of baseball players and their siblings -- not something I want to partake in.

The hubby had a double header in Pewaukee and like usual for Saturday, I went along. Because it was Memorial Day weekend, the Pewaukee Junior Guild was having their Memorial Weekend Family Festival at the same park the baseball game was. There was the Kona Ice truck for a sweet treat.



I had plans to grab a bite to eat downtown but there really wasn't anything that I wanted -- everything was more sit down than a quick snack. Since there wasn't a big line (and too many kids), I decided it was time to try a shaved ice or Hawaiian Ice.

Kona Ice makes it easy -- they give you a choice of cups size and then fill the cups with shaved ice. You then get to select your flavors to flavor your ice. There are several do it yourself flavors -- more about that in a minute. You can also have one of 30 additional by request flavors. These flavors include normal flavors like black cherry and cherry limeade, tropical flavors like cactus juice and peach, dessert flavors like wedding cake, and even mocktail flavors of fuzzy navel and pina coloda. Since this was my first one, I wanted to stick with the traditional flavors.



I had a choice of 10 flavors including blue raspberry, lime, cherry, and orange. There were few weird ones like tiger's blood and cotton candy. I ended up going with blue raspberry, lime, mango, grape, and cherry. Except the mango, all normal traditional flavors.



Unlike a snow cone where you had a chisel away at the ice and suck up flavor with a straw, the Hawaiian ice is eaten with a spoon and there is very little flavor left at the bottom. I was in love with the Hawaiian ice. It's refreshing, not really messy, easy to consume, and comes in a variety of flavors.



There are a bit pricy for ice and flavor ($3 for like 12 oz) but on a hot summer day it's worth it. I will definitely get another but I will make sure I won't have to fend off any little kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment