Saturday, June 3, 2017

#606. See a Celebrity Softball Tournament

When Rosie asked who wanted to go to the Jordy Nelson Charity Softball Game this year, I was like ME! I've always wanted to go, partially because it's on the bucket list (Packers are celebrities, right?) and partially because Hello hot Football Players. I was able to get 4 bleacher tickets together back in January. So Rosie, her parents, and I headed to Fox Cities Stadium for the softball game.



The weather was calling for rain in the morning and a decent afternoon. When we got to the stadium, the sponsors softball game was going on. It was Kwik Trip versus the Packers. Since it started sprinkling, we stayed under cover while watching the game. After about a half inning of being there, the rain picked up and they stopped the game to put the tarp on the field. There was about a 45 minute rain delay -- short enough to keep the rest of the event almost on time.




Once the tarp was taken off the field, it was time for the home run derby. This was the part I was looking forward to. Because of the rain delay, they shortened the home run derby where each player got only 7 outs (I think) to hit as many home runs as they could. Damarious Randall kept his home run derby champion title with 23 home runs in the final round. He said he would hit 23 home runs to win because that was his number and he did. I kind of wished I sat in the outfield and attempted to catch a home run ball. That would have been a nice souvenir to add to the collection especially if I could have gotten it autographed.




After the home run derby it was time to wish Jordy a Happy Birthday. His birthday was on Wednesday. He turned 32. They presented him with a cake. Too bad there wasn't enough for the 8000+ people to have a piece. Then I could say I had some of Jordy Nelson's birthday cake.

The actual game pitted the offense versus the defense. There is a reason why certain players play defense... they aren't very good on offense. At one point the offense was leading 18-3 so being the nice guy he is, Jordy decided to flip the score and let the defense have the lead. It really didn't matter because the offense ended up winning 27-25. Richard Rogers had 7 home runs in the game.






Some of my favorite players showed up and played:
Jordy pitched for the offense
Clay Matthews pitched for the defense
Randall Cobb was the catcher
Aaron Rodgers was on first for most of the game.



As Rosie said when Matthews was up to bat, it's good that he plays defense so all my favorite players are on the field at the same time.










One would think the hubby would have rubbed off of me completely by now and I would have been smart enough to bring a sharpie and/or a pen with me to the game. Neither Rosie nor I thought about bringing a sharpie or a pen for autographs let alone anything for them to sign. I honestly didn't think there would be a chance to get autographs but we had several opportunities. Several of them signed during the rain delay. Aaron Rodgers decided to play right field for a while so he could sign autographs at the outfield fence... then he came over and started signing by where we were sitting. Man how I would have loved to have my Jersey signed.



Rosie and I agreed that we need to make this an annual event. We will remember Sharpies next year, get our tickets in December so maybe we could be over a section or 2. It was definitely fun and I will be back. It's not every day you get to hang out with your favorite Packers and watch them play softball.


No comments:

Post a Comment