Saturday, August 29, 2015

# 5369 Feed a giraffe

When I was at the Jacksonville Zoo a few years ago, I could have feed a giraffe and decided against it. I am not sure why I didn’t but I know I wanted to do it ever since. While looking at the NEW Zoo website, I discovered I could feed a giraffe every day between 2-5. Of course when I planned my trip to the zoo, I had to make sure I was going to be there for feeding time so I could get my chance to feed a giraffe.

For only $1, anyone could feed one of the giraffes 2 leaves. You could buy as many leaves as you wanted, I suppose. It is a great way to let kids (or anyone for that matter) get up close and personal with the zoo animals. You are on a raised platform that you walk right up to. No climbing involved. That platform puts you at head height with the giraffes.  The zookeeper even educates you about the difference between a male and female giraffe and other information.


Feeding a giraffe only takes a few seconds but you have to wait to let others go in front of you. All the kids really can’t wait to feed the giraffe that leave.  You could even pet the giraffe’s nose if there weren’t other people trying to feed the giraffe. I tried to pet the giraffe but it was preoccupied with more leaves.

It was probably the most fun thing I did at the zoo. I will have to remember next time I go to make sure I have a dollar to feed the giraffe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment