Saturday, August 29, 2015

# 3909 Ride the Zippin Pippin at Bay Beach

I love roller coasters, especially ones that go upside down. When I heard that Bay Beach Amusement Park in Green Bay bought the Zippin’ Pippin’ and was reconstructing it at Bay Beach, I knew I had to ride it. The Zippin Pippin is one of the oldest wooden roller coasters built in the 1910s. It was said to be Elvis’ favorite roller coaster. It does not go upside down but it is still a roller coaster.


When we got to Bay Beach, the park itself was very crowded. We almost decided to skip it but I REALLY wanted to ride the Zippin’ Pippin. The nice thing about Bay Beach is there is no admission fee. All rides take tickets and tickets are a quarter each. Most rides take 1 or 2 tickets. The Zippin Pippin takes 4. WOW! A whole dollar to ride a roller coaster.  Despite the crowds, lines were short and my niece and I went on the Zippin Pippen while my sister-in-law and nephew hit up a few other rides. My brother was going to take pictures. That didn't happen.


The line for the Zippin Pippin wasn’t too bad. It moved fairly fast. We probably only stood in line for 10-15 minutes. The Zippin Pippin is 2,865 feet long but the ride only takes 90 seconds. I normally don’t like the initial climb but the one on the Zippin Pippin is nothing.  For an almost 100 year old wooden roller coaster, it is very smooth and painless. The ride was fast and fun. I kept my arms up the entire ride. There was one point near the end that was a bit jarring but other than that it was a smooth ride. The Zippin Pippin now ranks up there in probably my top 3 favorite roller coasters of all time with the Whizzer at Six Flags Great America still being number one.

Next time I will ride front car.

After we rode the Zippin Pippin, we hit a few other rides including the giant slide (2 in one day) before calling it a day and going for dinner.


I will be back to ride front car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment