Sunday, April 14, 2024

24 in 2024 -- Try a New Restaurant -- Random Lake Pizzeria

My brother kept telling us we needed to try Random Lake Pizzeria. The hubby had no game so we took a drive. We stopped at Johnsonville Village to check out the brat products, picked up some string cheese at Cedar Valley Cheese, and even stopped to visit the my parents. We planned on doing Random Lake Pizzeria for dinner on our way back to Appleton. 

Random Lake Pizzeria is located in Random Lake in Southern Sheboygan County. It is opened Wednesday-Sunday with hours varying on the day of the week. It is not open later than 9 PM. Luckily we were there by 5 PM. If you weren't looking for it, you might not find it. It's in a small building set back from the road. Luckily, I was advised of that.

We stepped inside and was told we could sit anywhere. This restaurant reminds of me of something you'd find on the beach. Very laid back and casual. The decor is more Southeast Asian than beach but it works. It is not something I would expect in a small town  in Wisconsin. I found it kitschy.. the hubby not so much. 



We ordered pizza and cheese bread. They also have pasta dishes. The cheese bread was almost on Vienna Bread. It was a thinner sliced bread than I am used to for garlic bread but it works.

The pizza was okay. The sauce was very mild. It kind of reminded me of Sammy's in Neenah but not really. The crust was slightly thicker but still crunchy. It is definitely unique.

Everyone said we needed to get the ice cream. It is made fresh daily. They have chocolate, vanilla, and the flavor of the day which was Peanut Butter Cup. I went with chocolate and the hubby went with vanilla. I was expecting plastic bowls that I could take with if I didn't finish it. Instead it came in metal bowls with metal spoons. We got a single scoop and it was more like 3 scoops. It was fantastic. 



Our only compliant, as the pizza snobs we, the place did not smell like pizza. Usually a pizza place smells like Italian seasoning and pizza. This did not. It was rather disappointing but it does explain the boring sauce as it was not heavy on the spice either. In our opinion, a really good pizza place should smell like pizza and Italian Seasoning.

The ice cream alone is worth a return trip. We can take or leave the pizza. I think Cranky's just has spoiled us and it's tough to find really good pizza. Just because we are not a huge fan of the pizza, doesn't mean it's not good. It is but we prefer a little more flavor. Definitely get the ice cream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment