Saturday, August 13, 2022

A Quick Wine Tasting at Munson Bridge Winery

 Last year we bought a bottle of Mango Wine when we stopped to see the Chatty Cow in Neillsville on our way to Eau Claire for Babe Ruth Regional Tournament. We really liked it and wanted more of it. The wine was from Munson Bridge Winery in Withee near Thorpe. It is on our way to Eau Claire if we take Hwy 29 across so no completely out of the way.

Munson Bridge Winery is open seasonally from Mid-April to just before Christmas. They feature fruit wines. Like many local wineries, they are more of a gathering place to enjoy a glass or a bottle of wine with friends will sitting outside enjoying the weather. I really like many of the local wineries are more than sample the wine and leave. I like the sense of community and hanging out. I just wish I had more time to enjoy the grounds and relax. However, with the hubby that is never case but especially when we were already running late.

We knew we wanted Mango but I also wanted to try some of their other wines. Due to the time constraints, I probably did my fastest wine tasting ever. I felt really bad for sampling as quickly as I did but I was getting that LOOK from the hubby as in do what you want but we're already late.

Because of the quick wine tasting, I even forgot to take pictures of my wines. For $5, I was able to sample 6 wines. I had a really hard time choosing. I went with the following wines.

After Hours -- Apple/Pear Wine -- Even though this was not as good as the Apple wine Heather got me a few years ago that I still can't remember the name, it was nice and crisp. It had a nice mix of Apple and pear flavors. This one came home with me. I can't wait to try it again.

Liquid Sunshine -- Apricot Blend -- It was good but didn't have a wow factor. I sampled based on the name. I'm not a huge apricot fan but this did have a nice flavor.

Mango Symphony -- This is what we got last year. I probably should have picked I different one but when in a rush, I wasn't thinking. It was as good as we remembered. 

Summer -- Strawberry Blend -- This is the second time this year that the strawberry wine surprised me. It was a refreshing strawberry wine. It was good but I could not see me drinking a whole bottle especially since strawberry is not a flavor I overly care for.

Julia's Raspberry -- It is hard to beat Down Time Wine's raspberry wine. This one did not. It was good but I'm partial to Basil's Raspberry Wine. This one was a tad too sweet but I wouldn't pass up a glass if someone offered me one.

Pajama Red -- Black Raspberry -- This one was way too sweet for me. It was another one I tried based on the name. Live and learn.

After my five minute wine tasting, we bought our wine and head back on the road to the Thorpedo for lunch. I definitely want to go back and enjoy a true wine tasting and maybe even enjoy the winery itself. If you are ever in the area, definitely check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment