Sunday, January 30, 2022

20 in 2022: Go ice skating at the Plaza in Neenah

 Neenah built an outdoor ice skating rink with the help of Bergrstroms. It is an ice skating rink in winter and a gathering area for concerts in summer. There is also a coffee shop. Even though I have not been ice skating in many years and no longer have skates, I wanted to go skating at the Plaza at least once to say I've done it. 

When I saw that a coworker of mine celebrated her birthday there, she said she'd go skating with me anytime. I didn't want to skate when it was cold out. So I planned on a Sunday afternoon when the temperatures weren't freezing.

In order to skate at the Plaza, you have to sign your life away through the website prior to actually paying. You can scan a QR code when you get there or do it before you leave. The waiver is good for 3 days from signing. Once we get to The Plaza, you give them your name and they see your waiver. It is completely paper free. Then you can pay which again is only cards or digital wallets.. no cash. I get it in COVID but this could pose a problem for people who don't have credit/debit cards or digital wallets. It is $8 for an adult to skate and $5 for skate rental.

When I got to the Plaza, the Zamboni was cleaning the ice. It does that every two hours so there is always several times during the day where they kick everyone off the ice. Then you get nice clean sheet of ice. Personally I prefer messy ice. I find it easier to skate on messy ice.

The rink is not huge. Everyone skates counter-clockwise. There are walkers for little kids to help them. I stuck close to the railing the first couple laps around the ice. I was afraid of wiping out. Remember the ice was glossy.  Because it was a nice day and the Packers were out of the playoffs, it was busy but not extremely busy.


We had fun skating. Only my co-worker wiped out once. Our other friend and I did not fall. We skated for about 45 minutes before the blisters started to form and the thighs started scream. The hubby was happy that I did not fall. 



I will definitely go again. Maybe next year they will have a season pass. I really want to skate under the lights. Not sure I will get that done before the weather turns nice but there is always November and December. Maybe a birthday night skate.

No comments:

Post a Comment