Sunday, September 27, 2020

Getting My Taffy Fix

I've been craving taffy for awhile now. I probably could go to the grocery store or Walmart and buy some but I wanted good salt water taffy. A few months ago I was searching for candy stores near Ladysmith and Rice Lake. I didn't find any but there was a couple in Hayward.  Playing around on Googlemaps before we headed to Hayward, I found a candy store called Tremblay's Sweet Shop. A brief glance at their website told me they had taffy and other chocolate treats. 

I informed the hubby that if we had time I'd like to stop at Tremblay's Sweet Shop because I wanted taffy. We had plenty of time. There are actually two locations downtown Hayward... a smaller shop and then the main shop across the street. Of course we went to the main shop. 

Tremblay's Sweet Shop is a sweet tooth heaven. There are baskets full of taffy and other old school candy. There is homemade fudge and other homemade chocolates behind the counter. Of course, there are jelly belly jelly beans and other gummy candies. There is something for everyone.

You get a basket and fill it with whatever wrapped candy you want. The taffy and old fashioned wrapped candy is $5.99/lb. That is dirt cheap for taffy. 

I really liked that I could pick my flavors of taffy. I am partial to watermelon, licorice, and cinnamon. The hubby surprised me and wanted some flavors too. Tremblay's had some pretty unique flavors of taffy including chili mango, chicken and waffles, red velvet, and guava. I did add a couple of the more unique flavors to the basket as well as maple for the hubby. 





The hubby said we should have had separate baskets since I had the weird flavors. Let me tell you it was an adventure once we got home and I had to figure out what flavor each piece was and if it was mine or the hubby's. Next time separate bags and more pictures of to match the flavors with the taffy. 

We also each got a couple of pieces of homemade candies from the case. The hubby went with coconut clusters and I got a mint truffle and chocolate covered pretzel. The mint truffle was huge and very minty.

You can watch them make the candy, taffy, and brittle through the glass windows.



The only downside of Tremblay's Sweet Shop is they only accept cash or check which I didn't realize until we were in line to pay. Luckily we had enough case between the two of us to get all of our treats. I opted for a pretzel instead of an oreo ball. Lesson learned, bring cash to Tremblay's Sweet Shop.

Unfortunately I won't get my taffy fix all the time. Hayward is 4 hours from Appleton. A bit of a drive for some taffy. There is another location in Eagle River but that's still almost 3 hours from Appleton. I guess the wait will make it sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment