Wednesday, September 16, 2020

7038. Go to a ribbon cutting ceremony

 When we were at the Carroll Alumni Spring Training Event, I learned that the Ed Building (Barstow Hall) at Carroll has undergone renovation, in part due to storm damage. I spent many hours of my Carroll Education in Barstow. It was an old factory or warehouse type building... definitely not a college looking building. It was down the hill, across two parking lots, and across the train tracks from all the buildings on campus. And yes you had to make sure you didn't get stuck by a train on your way to class.

The other week, I got an email saying that Carroll was having a virtual ribbon cutting ceremony to rededicate the new Education Hall. Because it was scheduled for noon, I figured I could tune in on my lunch. Of course, that means I had to be back from my walk by noon.

Since it was being broadcasted on Facebook Live, it made tuning in pretty easy. 

President Cindy Gnadinger said a few words. Then the Dr. Kramer, Intern Dean of the School of Education and Human Services said a few words. Finally of an education student said a few words about her time at Carroll but it had nothing to do with being an education major.

After everyone had a turn at speaking, Dr. Gnadinger with the help of some local community members as well Dr. Kramer and the education student, cut the ribbon to the new Education Hall. 

Everyone then was allowed to tour the new renovated building. The virtual world got a video tour. The ed building I remember was dark and dingy. This is light and bright. It feels welcoming and is set up for virtual class space and group learning.

I really enjoyed the virtual ribbon cutting. Maybe one day I will be able to take part of an in-person ribbon cutting and maybe even cut the ribbon myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment