Sunday, September 13, 2020

A Southern Tailgate Tea Party

 COVID messed up a lot of things this year including my annual tea party back in May. We were still in quarantine and I really wasn't about having people in my apartment yet. So I moved it to September and put it on the Packer's first game of the year. Like last year, I decided we needed a theme. What is goes with football better than tailgating and Packer fans and southern ladies love tailgating. 

Instead of having hot tea in dainty little tea cups, iced tea made more sense. Janis told me how to cold brew tea. Erin wanted Arnie Palmers so we squeezed lemons to make fresh lemonade to mix with our tea. True southern girls at heart.

The menu did not include scones and cucumber sandwiches but instead typical tailgate foods. We had hot dogs (and chicken brats for Janis), veggies and dip, homemade pickles, and cheese straws which apparently are big in the south. 

Janis felt we needed to have Chicago-Style Hot Dogs and New York Style Hot Dogs. We had plenty of toppings for the hot dogs. I never had a New York dog which is a secret sauce, sauerkraut, and mustard. Since I don't like tomatoes or peppers, my Chicago was kind of plain but did include the blue pickle relish. 

Erin didn't let us down for dessert. Besides making cherry handpies, she made these AMAZING brownie stuffed strawberries. They may have may a pain in the butt but they were so delicious. 


And of course no tea party is complete without fancy hats


We got to watch the game, hang out (socially distanced in my living room), and catch up. It was a fun afternoon. Hopefully next year we can get back to the normal tea party and keep the Southern Tea Party as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment