Saturday, June 8, 2019

Beer Tasting in The Door

Usually when I go to Door County, there is wine involved.. either wine tasting or wine purchasing. Since our boat tour was in Bailey's Harbor, we decided it was easier to go beer tasting than wine tasting afterwards. Door County Brewing Company was literally just down the road from the dock. Okay most of the towns in the Door are about 2 blocks so it's easier to walk around them.

We didn't actually go to the actual brewery but Door County Brewing Company Musical Hall. It servers both Door County Brewing Company and Hacienda Beer Company beers along with live music at night and board games anytime. Both brewing companies are local to Bailey's Harbor. We opted to sit inside since outside seemed more cocktails than beer. Laurie, Jeanne, Cindy, and I went with a flight of beers while Bonnie opted to try the root beer.



The flight came with 5 5oz beers. EEK!! I barely can finish 1 beer let alone like 2. I am not big beer drinker. You literally made your selection from the chalkboard hanging behind the bar onto a card. You could choose between beers from either Door County Brewing or Hacienda Beer.



Being not much for beers but having a good idea of what I like and don't like, it was tough coming up with 5 beers. Jeanne struggled too and she is a beer drinker. Some of them, I literally chose because of their name or ingredients (i.e. coconut). Jeanne suggested my fifth choice since I had no clue to put down.



They poured your beers according to your card... so unless you are smart enough to put down the beers in light to dark order (or a reasonable drinking order), your flight was a mish-mash of tastes and colors. It was up to you to figure out how to drink them.




My five beers

Big Sister -- a Witbier with Hibiscus from Door County Brewing. I mainly chose this one because of the hibiscus since I really loved hibiscus tea at the tea party this year. Sadly, I was disappointed. It wasn't bad but the hibiscus tea is much better. It was a very pretty red color. We all picked this one.

The Only Time Is Party Time -- A Milk Stout with Cold Brew Coffee and Coocnut from Hacienda. UGH!!! Horrible. No coconut whatsoever. All I tasted was coffee. I hate coffee. Jeanne drank this one for me.

Everything Eventually -- Citrus dry hopped pale ale from Hacienda. Everyone got this one and this one was everyone's least favorite. Laurie described it as vomit. It kind of grew on me. I definitely was not a summer shady that I was expecting.

I'm Not a Doctor -- I believe this one was from Hacienda but I don't recall what the flavor was. This one actually was my "favorite" of them if I had to pick a favorite. It had the smoothest taste and didn't taste like Miller or Bud.

Clawhammer --  A classic German style pilsner from Door County Brewing. I should have picked a different beer. I should know that anything German Style Pilsner is going to be like Miller. I was not a fan.

We also split a pretzel. It was the size of my head. It was worth the $8.




The beers left a lot to be desired Most of them had to grow on you. I don't think there was one that anyone of us loved. Jeanne did like her Polka King and Cindy her Clawhammer. Personally I would have stuck with wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment