Saturday, July 14, 2018

A visit with Roger Rabbit and Daffy Duck

I picked up a FAN pass to see the Roger Rabbit Exhibit at the Trout Museum of Art. I knew Danielle really wanted to see it. I'll be entirely honest, I'm not a big Roger Rabbit fan. I could never get into the movie.  However, the exhibit sounded pretty good even if I wasn't a fan of the movie mainly because you got to see the actual artwork from the film.



Let me tell you, I appreciate the movie a whole lot more. Some of the animation cels were very details while others were quite simple. It all depended on the scene. We only saw a minute portion of the cels but I can't even fathom how many thousands of cels had to be created to make the full length movie.





I either didn't realize it or forgot how many other cartoon characters were in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was like Disney and Warner Bros both wanted to leave their mark on this mixed media film (live action and animation). Being able to see the cels of both Disney Characters and Loony Toon Cartoons was unexpected but it totally made the trip even more satisfying. 







The movie was playing upstairs and I'll be honest the part we saw (the bar scene) was very amusing. I might just have to go to the library pick up a copy sometime just to see if I can watch the entire thing without getting now I know how it was made.




Besides the Roger Rabbit cels, the second floor contained Loony Toon animation. This alone was worth the price of admission. I may be a Disney girl at heart but I still love my old school cartoons. Just to be able to see some of the cels from the cartoons of my childhood was priceless.







This was one of the better exhibits I've seen at the Trout -- ranking right up there with the Dr. Seuss exhibit. I would have totally paid the $7 admission charge to see the exhibit if I didn't have the FAN Pass. The exhibit runs through the end of August so if you are in Appleton and want to check out old school cartoon animated cels, I would highly suggest a stop at the Trout Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment