Friday, September 15, 2017

More Art on the Town Fun

With the busy summer I had, I never had a chance to get to Art on the Town in Appleton until the last one -- PARKing on the Town. PARKing on the Town allows artists to set up shop to work or display their work in parking spots on College Avenue. I met Danielle downtown for some much needed fun.



Last year, we had so much fun at PARKing on the Town -- we made buttons and flowers, fished, collected art supplies, and wrote out of bucket list adventure. I was expecting more of the same and was seriously disappointed. 

After saving Danielle from "the terrible band", we start our way down the Ave. We passed someone selling jewelry but didn't stop to browse to do to lack of funds. A few spots down the Ave we stopped to chat with a nice potter for a bit. I would have loved to try throwing a pot. 



There wasn't much between the potter and the end of the Ave except for a roving musician or two. Heading back up the Ave, we saw a few more musicians. I get that Art on the Town features all sorts of art forms but I wanted to make things. I wanted to leave my mark. I really didn't see any place to do that. Even where we wrote out our bucket list last year was featuring music this year. 

We walked up a little farther so I could out a few statues. I love public art statues. They are fun and make fun pictures.





However, as we headed back to Houdini plaza, I found the lone place that allowed us to create some artwork for free. One of the board painting places was offering free board painting. You got a 9x13 inch board to paint that was already stained and whitewashed. By the time we got there, there was 1 black board and several blueish-gray boards left. Danielle snatched up the black board and I got a blueish-gray one. Most of the stencils were the same either something about Love or Family. Danielle scored a fun stencil. I really wanted the home sweet home one but they were out of that one.

 

Being a board painting pro, I didn't bother waiting for the instructors. I instructed Danielle what to do and how to peel off her stencil. We had fun time painting our boards. I am not quite sure I went with the right color combo but it still looks good. 




Painting boards was the highlight of PARKing on the Town... those and the random ballerinas. I'm glad parking was free after 6 in Appleton but it would have been a waste of good change otherwise. We only spent an hour downtown because there wasn't anything to keep our interest. Hopefully next year it will be better and maybe I will be able to go to more Art on the Town events too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment