Friday, April 10, 2015

# 760 Complete a New York Times Crossword Puzzle

I like doing crossword puzzles. They challenge my brain. When I first moved up here, I would have mom save me the crosswords from the Milwaukee Journal and give them to me when I saw her. Then I discovered online crossword puzzles, first through USA Today and then the LA Times. I do both daily but I have always wanted to try the New York Times Crossword ever since my PolSci Professor in College said she does them and they are not easy.

I recently won a free 4 week subscription to the New York times through one of my apps and decided I might as well as try to do the crossword. After searching all over, I discovered the link to the crosswords hidden at the bottom. Then I discovered, I had to have an additional subscription for the crossword puzzles. Not coo...oh wait what is this...archived puzzles for free. Score. I picked the one from 1998..not realizing it was a Friday puzzle (the later in the week, typically the harder the puzzle).

30 minutes later and a lot of Google searching later, I completed my first New York Times Crossword puzzle. I managed to solve several clues initially without any help. As I found answers on Google, I was able to complete the longer clues without any help. It wasn't easy and it doesn't highlight the letters you got wrong in red automatically. In order to make sure my answer was correct, I had to click check word. I really only got a few words truly wrong -- anything with a black triangle in the picture below is what I initially got incorrect. It was a nice way to pass some time on a Friday Night. Maybe one day I will try a New York Times Sunday Crossword


No comments:

Post a Comment