Monday, April 20, 2015

#3756 Go to the Fox Cities Book Festival

For the last 8 years, the libraries of the Fox Cities have held a book festival aptly named Fox Cities Book Festivals. It is a seven day Literary Bonanza that includes many author visits over various genres, workshops, and children's activities. I love to read and to hear an author speak is always interesting.

Last year was the first year, I went to the book festival. I wanted to in the past years but never made the time. Debbie Macomber, one of my favorite authors, was speaking at UW-Fox Valley to close out the festival. Yarn Teacher and I went and it was a full house. We were lucky to get a seat in the front row of the auditorium. Some people sat on the stage and some were even turned away. It was a great experience. After Debbie was done speaking, like all of the festival authors, she signed her books. Now my autograph copy of her Cedar Cove Cookbook sits in my kitchen.

This year there are a few authors, I wanted to hear speak. Like years past, many of them were scheduled during the day when I'm at work all day. One of the authors, Jessie Garcia, was speaking at 7:30 at the Appleton Library on tonight. Since the hubby was supposed to be at far games this week, I figured I'd go to this event. Plans changed and the hubby's game was cancelled but that didn't affect me going. He actually dropped me off so I didn't have to pay for parking.

I grew up watching Jessie Garcia grow into her role as a sportscaster for TMJ4 in Milwaukee and was excited to hear her speak. I did not get a chance to read her book, My Life with the Green & Gold: Tales from 20 years of Sportscasting. I figured that didn't matter; she would still be interesting to hear speak. She did not disappoint. Jessie talked about getting into sportscasting as woman in the early '90s, some of her experiences as a sportscaster, and showed us some behind the scene clips of a day in the life of (inset Packer/Badger/Brewer Coach). If the library wasn't closing, she probably would have talked all night as she was a very interesting speaker and had many stories to tell.



I also plan on going to events on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and Friday afternoon. Look for me book Festival fun in the coming days.


No comments:

Post a Comment