Sunday, March 29, 2015

# 389 -- See Annie

Ever since I saw Annie student teaching in New Berlin, I wanted to see a Broadway or off Broadway production of it. The first time I noticed that it was playing at the Fox Cities PAC was shortly after I moved up here and it was only a few days beforehand. I couldn't find anyone to go with. I vowed the next time, Annie came to the PAC, I would be going -- alone or with anyone that wanted to go.

Last year when browsing the PAC website for shows for 2015 season, I saw that Annie was coming. I was excited and couldn't wait to go. During cookie baking, Stacy said she would go with me. We originally wanted to do the Sunday afternoon matinee but when I went to buy tickets both the Saturday and Sunday matinees only had single seat tickets available -- 3 weeks after tickets went on sale. We decided to do the Saturday night show. Good thing, Ticketmaster emails me a reminder about my show because I thought the show was at 7 and not 7:30. At least we would have been early, not late.

We had seat up in the Family Circle, the third row from the back of the theater. There really isn't a bad seat in the PAC so being up so high, didn't really matter. It isn't like the Pabst where you're sitting straight up and are afraid off falling over the railing. We were almost exactly center stage which was nice but if we were on the sides weren't have been bad either.
The view from our seats
What a show. I heard on the radio on Thursday morning that it was a great show and the morning DJ said her daughter enjoyed it even though it was a little long. And she was correct. It was a great show. Everything impressed me.

I may have seen the movie as kid but don't remember much of it. I barely remember the play in New Berlin. At least this time, I knew the basic story line but I did forget a lot of little things..like the whole FDR relationship

The singing and dancing were amazing. I personally loved "Easy Street". I loved how it wasn't all G rated and the shimmying just made it all the better. Watching the orphans dance and sing, amazed me, especially smallest one.

The one scene where Annie and Mr. Warbucks visit FDR at the White House and the cast breaks into "Tomorrow" somehow reminded me of the Carousel of Progress . It don't know if it was the "stiffness" of the characters but it some very robotic. Not that, it was a bad thing just a very odd connection.


There were a few things I learned
1. I need to go to the theater more often. I truly enjoy these shows. Once every 5 years or so is not a good track record.
2. If going to a Saturday evening performance, park in one of the other parking garages and walk. There are enough of them close that a few block walk won't hurt. It was a time consuming process trying to get out of the PAC lot after the show.
3. I must check all sports schedules, even ones that are not yet printed, to make sure there are no possible sports conflicts. Wisconsin was playing Arizona in the Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament starting at 5. Going to dinner and getting to the theater in time for the show, caused me to missed most of the game. At least they didn't play the 7:40 game. I had the hubby text me the final and the family in front us had updates at the end. It wasn't a deal breaker or anything but definitely something I hadn't even bothered to check or think of when I ordered the tickets -- March Madness.
4. Kinky boots is coming to the PAC next season.
5. The PAC has booster seats for kids. That is just ingenious.

Me with my Annie Game as a kid. I don't remember playing or seeing the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment