I've been wanting to ride the Fenelon Place Elevator for years. It is an incline railroad and I wasn't sure if the hubby could handle it. So when we decided girls weekend was going to be in Galena, I was like we need to go to Dubuque so I can ride the elevator.
Fenelon Place Elevator is the world's shortest and steepest railroad. It takes passengers 296 feet up the side up the side of a bluff in Dubuque. You can board either at the top or the bottom. It is $4/person round trip and is cash only. Fenelon Place Elevator is open 8-10 daily April 1 to November 30 except for Thanksgiving.
We decided to ride from the top. There is only street parking. We paid our $4 and joined a couple in the train. It seats 8 people on wooden seats. It is just wooden folding doors on either end.
The view from the top is spectacular. You can see the Mississippi.
The ride down takes only a couple of minutes.
Then you let yourself out. We wandered the streets for a bit and checked out a few stores.
When we were ready to head back up, we got back in the elevator and rang the bell. After about a minute, we were back on our way up. As one car goes up, a second car comes down.
It is definitely not as scary as the Lookout Mountain Incline Railroad. The incline is not as vertical at any point. I am still not sure the hubby could handle it since there is nothing to grab on to.
If you are in Dubuque or the surrounding area, definitely ride the Fenelon Place Elevator. It is cheap entertainment and it is a piece of history.








No comments:
Post a Comment