Sunday, March 3, 2024

2024 Baseball Stadium Tour: Sloan Park

 After Spring Training 2020, there were only 3 spring training parks we have not been to in Arizona -- Sloan, Hohokam, and Scottsdale. We wanted to hit all three this year but schedules it didn't work out. I gave the hubby the choice of Sloan or Hohokam as they both were home on Sunday. He picked Sloan. 

Sloan Park is the spring training home of the Chicago Cubs. It is located in Mesa almost on the corner of the 202 and Dobson. It is super easy to get to and the signs for parking make it even easier. We parked in the $10 lot which was part of a hotel parking lot. There was a shuttle that dropped us off right at the gate. It was great. The walk wouldn't have been too bad either though. 

Tickets for Sloan were our most expensive tickets of the trip. One ticket down the third base line was $55. Grass seats were like $40. The stadium was packed. I think attendance was like 12K. So they know fans will pay. We ended up getting the tickets at the end of December because there weren't many seats let.

The ballpark is similar to Wrigley Field with the iconic red sign in the outfield. There were no ivy on the walls in the outfield.. probably because it doesn't grow in the desert. 

Our seats even though down the line were very good even for middle seats. I didn't have anyone next to me for most of the game so I wasn't squished. We were in the shade so it helped. We could see all the action. The Cubs played the Indians, I mean the Guardians. It was a good game with the Cubs winning 5-3. It was just weird seeing Counsel in Cubs blue and not Brewer blue. 





Like most spring training parks, at least in Arizona, they try to have big league favorites. Being the home of the Cubs, there was Garrett's Popcorn, Chicago Italian Beef, and Chicago Dogs. I would have gotten Italian beef but we wanted to eat light knowing my cousin would have a feast for us. I went with a Chicago Dog. When I opened the box I was disappointed to find it was a hot dog on a poppy seed bun. Then I went to the condiment station and found the rest of the toppings -- Tomatoes, Onions, Neon Green Pickle Relish, Mustard, and pickle spears. Since no one would yell at me, I skipped the tomatoes and onions but added everything else. It was very good. 


I was not very excited to go to Sloan. I have seen Cubs fans in action and was dreading the experience at Sloan. It was actually way better than I could ever imagine. It must be Arizona or something. Everyone was pleasant and not your typical Cubs fans. I would definitely go back to Sloan even with the hefty price tag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment