Wednesday, November 2, 2022

7467. Etch glass

 The Kaukauna Library does Make and Mingle once a month on Wednesdays. Last month we did paint pour pumpkins. This month it was going to be Etched Glass. I wasn't going to sign up because that sounded dangerous. However a few of my fellow girl scouts said it was pretty easy and I could handle it. So I signed up along with a few of the adult girl scouts.

It turns out it was not really difficult at all and very safe even with acid.

Materials

-- Armour Etch
-- Glassware -- we used pub glasses
-- Stencil -- We had several Wisconsin or alcohol themed choices to choose from. All done on a Cricut. 
-- Popsicle stick
-- Paint Brush
-- Tub of water

Steps

1. Pick out which stencil you wanted. I made both glasses the same.

2. Apply stencils to the glass using transfer paper. This is where the popsicle stick comes in handy so you could transfer the letters easier to the transfer paper and then the glass.

3. Apply the Armour Etch to the glass very liberally using the paint brush. The more you put on the better it turned out, especially if you have a large area to cover. I found if I saw the Armour Etch, I figured I had enough.

4. Wait 5-15 minutes to let the acid do it's thing.

5. Wash off the acid in a bucket of water. We did not do this part. The librarian did this since she does glass etching all time. Yea for keeping Amy burn free. 

6. Dry glass and remove stencil.



The whole project probably took 30 minutes. It was clean, simple fun. You just have to remember you are working with acid so be careful.   

I loved how my glasses turned out. I really hope they do this project again. It was fun and make great gifts. Hopefully they keep Make and Mingle going in 2023. Stay tuned for more fun projects hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment