Wednesday, September 29, 2021

2211. Go to the Beyer Stadium in Rockford

 When planning our trip to St. Louis, I was trying to find a stretch break attraction for the hubby between Madison and Springfield. There is not much between Rockford and Springfield to begin with. I checked the bucket list. I checked Roadtrippers app. I checked Roadside America site. I checked Atlas Obsecura website. There I finally hit jackpot. I found Beyer Stadium in Rockford.

Beyer Stadium was the home of the Rockford Peaches, a team in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. The team was also featured in the movie A League of Their Own about the Rockford Peaches.

The original entrance gate is still there and so are the dugouts.

The field itself is not in too bad of shape.



There are signs along the side of the field highlighting members of the team and the history of the league. There are also monuments about the league. It is very well done to highlight a mostly forgotten piece of history.




You want to park on Seminary Street as there is no parking on 15th Avenue. It is not a great area of town but then again it is Rockford. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't go after dark.

I was amazed to find this little piece of history and glad we stopped. Someone mentioned the field in Racine is still there too. I may have to check that out if that is the case. I love old baseball relics and so does the hubby. The field where the Rockford Expos played is also on 15th Ave the hubby believes as we drove by it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment