Saturday, February 2, 2019

Snowshoeing at Heckrodt

For years, I wanted to snowshoe at Heckrodt but either there was not even snow (needed 6+ inches on the ground) or too cold for me to venture out. I was luck this year. We just got dumped with a foot of snow and the temperatures were going to be in the 30s.

When I got to Heckrodt, I wasn't sure where the trail started or anything. I just knew it wasn't straight ahead since you couldn't snowshoe on the boardwalk. Well, apparently to assist people like me there was a nice sign that said to snowshoe trail head right by the nature center which was a great spot to put on snowshoes. After a few feeble attempts on putting on my snowshoes, I managed to get them nice and snug and headed out on the trail.



The trail is a great beginner trail but I definitely would recommend poles. There are a few tiny hills that the poles would help get down safely. The trail is clearly marked which made it easy (along with the snowshoe prints) to follow. It is a bout .5 miles or so yet it took me over 30 minutes to make one loop mainly because I was having snow shoe problems (which gerry-rigged to work).



It was a beautiful day and many people were out.. just not that many on the snowshoe trail. A group left ahead of me and turned around just a short ways in. I didn't see anyone else.







Next time, I'm going to plan on at least an hour so I can make multiple loops around the trail. Hopefully Mother Nature cooperates and I am able to get out sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment