Sunday, April 29, 2018

4746. Go to Captain’s Walk Winery

Driving to Door County, I would see the sign for Captain's Walk Winery and I would see fun events on Facebook at the winery. I wanted to check it out especially since the name sounded so fun. Besides they are always having Groupon specials. What could be more fun than discounted wine tasting?

My Groupon was about to expire and I really wanted to use it. I persuaded my lil' sister to meet me there for some wine tasting since it was her favorite winery. It was hard to turn down a free tasting and free glass of wine.

I've been been to many wineries in various states in various buildings. What I wasn't expecting when I pulled up to Captain's Walk Winery was an old house in the middle of downtown Green Bay. The foyer was had settees and their was a tasting room up the stairs for large groups. Despite not what I was expecting from a winery, it was very classy. I just hoped their was more pirate decor.

We each got to taste 7 wines and/or hard ciders. For just $2 more we could have added any of the wines from the select list. We opted not too. Since I am a big fruit wine drinker, it was hard to find wines that were in my comfort zone as there were no real fruit wines on the list. This definitely was not the hubby's kind of winery who really only drinks fruit wines.



I went with sweeter wines and there were plenty to pick from.

7 Seas -- it was good but not something I probably buy. I would definitely drink it if someone gifted it to me.

Marquette Rose -- LOVED IT. This one would have come home with me if I was actually planning on buying any wine. The hubby won't like this as it's not fruity enough for him but it is definitely one of my favorites.

Gewurztraminer -- I've had various gewurztraimers in the past and they are okay. I can take them or leave them but this one was really good. It had a nice hint of fruit but wan't overly sweet. This is the kind of wine you'd sip on a hot summer day.

Captain's Red -- This is my lil's favorite. It is really good.. not too dry, not too sweet. It reminds me of the Vintners Red from San Sebastian Winery in St. Augustine. It's great to know that I don't have to go to St. Augustine to get one of my favorite (non-blackberry/non-cherry) reds.

Captain's White -- It's good but not one I'd see myself drinking regularly. It is a nice smooth, sweet white that is crisp. Yet I just wasn't all about this white. Maybe I am just spoiled with some of the fruitier whites or my palate isn't just developed enough..

Von Stiehl Naughty Girl -- I'll be honest I sampled this wine solely based on the name. Van Stiehl is the sister winery of Captian's Walk. This wine has a funky after taste. I can't quite place it but I just wasn't a fan.



Titletown Mascato -- It's a nice sparkling wine but I am not much for sparkling wines. I don't care for the added fizz. I guess I am just used to the Barefoot Mascato.

After we sampled our wines, we each had a glass and caught up. This is the best part of any wine tasting, having a glass with your sisters, cousins, friends and catch up on life. I don't do this nearly enough and really need to start to.



This has definitely broke the top 5 of my favorite wineries. I would love to come back with a group of people, order a glass and some appetizers and catch up. This is the part of wineries I need to start doing more of.. the glass and food and catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment