Sunday, January 15, 2017

Going on an Eagle Viewing Hunt

I've been following Eagle Days on the Fox River on Facebook and keep seeing the posts of eagle sightings. If I got up early enough yesterday morning, I could have helped with the eagle monitoring but I didn't see the post early enough. So I decided to get up early and try to spot one this morning. By early I mean like 7 AM!!! Eek. I contemplated staying in bed and said screw it but this might have been my only chance for awhile.

According to the Eagle Days page, there are 16 different viewing stations along the Fox River throughout the Fox Valley. I decided to go down by the Banta Bowl because it was close to home and I could see an eagle and go back to bed. I get down there and saw a lot of seagulls. I hung around for a little bit but decided there were too many seagulls and it was cold.

On to Plan B... I headed to Sunset Park in Kimberly. There are 2 viewing spots in Sunset. I decided to go down by the boat launch since I could sit in the car. There was another person there too. Again I saw a lot of ducks and other birds. I may have saw an eagle in flight since eagles soar while most other birds flap their wings and fly. I waited awhile to see if it would come back but it never did so I could confirm if it was an eagle or not.

I almost decided to say screw it and go home but decided to go to 1 last spot at 1000 Islands Nature Center in Kaukauna. I was surprised no one was there.. ok so it was 8 AM. I trudged out to the viewing platform and saw nothing. I was quite disappointed that this eagle hunting trip was a bust. I could have stayed in bed.

I thought the frost and the steam looked pretty cool and snapped a few pictures. I figured at least I had a few cool pictures to show from my journey this morning.





As I headed back to the car, I looked up and there was an eagle in a tree. It was definitely worth getting up at the crack of dawn.



I learned that I am not patient enough to wait for an eagle to come along. I want to show up and be able to see one. This probably why I don't fish or hunt... I can't sit still long enough to get the goods.

I hopefully one year will be able to partake in some of the other activities that Eagle Days on the Fox River have planned but the work schedule doesn't allow it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment