Monday, June 13, 2016

Reading with Craxi: Agatha Christie

After we were done discussing The Rosie Project last book club, as a group we decided what books to read for the next 3 months. Since Neenah Players were putting on And Then There Were None by Agatha Christi as their first play for the summer, we thought it would be fun to read it. I was excited to read it since I never read Agatha Christi before and she was one of the authors that I wanted read but never quite made it officially on the bucket list.

I was a little worried when I went to reserve a copy of the book. I was number 5 on the waiting at Kimberly. Not knowing how long the book was, I placed a hold at Neenah as well and for a copy of the e-book. I don't know where I was on the hold list at Neenah but I was 103rd on the digital copy list. Then I received an email from Goodreads telling me I can buy the book for $1.99 for my nook. Since I wasn't sure how long it would take to get a copy or actually read the book, I bought it. It turns out a week later, my copy at Kimberly was ready. I called and let them know I no longer needed it. I figure let someone else read it.

And Then There Were None tells the story of 10 random people selected to visit a deserted island. Each person received an invite from someone they slightly knew asking them to come stay on the island. When they arrived, their host, U.N.Owen, was delayed weren’t be there until the next day. The guest began to mingle and then a phonograph recording mysteriously starts to play announcing the "murders" each of the guests committed. These were "murders" that looked like accidents and the person would never get charged with murder. Everyone is panicked and one of the guests, admits his "guilt" and everyone tells their own story. Soon the first person dies and then another and another. They think there is a murder on the island but find none. 10 guests arrive on the island but three days later no one is alive. Who killed them??

If you want to find out who killed them, you must read the book.

There is a poem at the beginning of the book called "Ten Little Indians" which the murders are loosely based off of. None of the guests immediately recognize this until the after the 3rd one was killed and that is only because there were 10 Indians on the table when they started and then there were 7. The only bad part of reading the book on my Nook, I couldn't flip back to the poem after someone was killed to see how the next one was going to die.

I really enjoyed this book. I would definitely read more Agatha Christie. The book club gave several other books by her that I jotted down that followed the similar trend of mysterious murders. Until then I better get started on the 500 page tome for next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment