Sunday, June 28, 2015

Checking out Chicken Fest

We technically don’t live in Darboy USA but we live close enough to say we are in Darboy. For some, Darboy, nothing more than an unincorporated land area outside of Appleton, has Chicken Fest. Like any small Wisconsin town, this is their annual festival. It is held in the small community park down the road from us. Being a sucker for small town festivals, I wanted to go… the hubby not so much.

This year I wanted to get my stuff for the Chicken Chase and managed to convince Danielle to come along with me. She brought the boys along. I wasn’t planning on doing much other than getting my packet and wander for a bit. But when you bring kids to a festival, you get to experience the festival a little more.
While I got my race packet, Danielle and the boys ate hot dogs. Everything at Chicken Fest, like most area festivals, used tickets for food, drinks, and rides. 1 Ticket = $1. I’m not sure what the hot dogs cost but I know a funnel cake was 5 tickets!!!!



After they finished eating, we checked out the midway. I didn’t bring any extra money because I wasn’t planning on doing much but wandering around. Danielle got me on the Ferris Wheel. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s been awhile since I was on a Ferris Wheel or what but this one freaked me out. It went BACKWARDS initially!!!! Ok, if I was really paying attention I would have noticed this and from what I remember they all do that. I was white knuckling the bar and trying not to freak out too bad. After a couple of rotations, I was fine and actually managed to take a few pictures. We got gimped because we were the last 2 one and the first 2 off I swear. The boys and Danielle rode a few more rides and I kept my feet firmly planted on the ground. I checked out the music tent for a few minutes and Grand Union Station was playing. They weren’t bad. I even did splurge on that $5 funnel cake.




We went on the first night of chicken fest. It wasn’t bad but there were a lot of teeny boppers. The music tent wasn’t packed but that might have been because we were there before 7:00 PM. For a little blip on the map between bigger cities, it’s not a bad way to kill an evening. On Saturday there was going to be a parade. I’d like to have seen that. Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment