Friday, March 11, 2022

3354. Visit the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument in Kearney

 One of the stretch break stops I put on the docket while traveling through Nebraska was the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument. This is the giant archway the spans I-80 that is part gift shop and part history museum. 

Again I didn't do my research carefully enough. I didn't realize the museum was in the Arch itself and that was the only way to go in the Arch. I assumed that museum was in an outbuilding. The museum is $12/ person and was accessed by a really steep escalator which put the kibosh on that idea. The hubby doesn't like escalators. I'm sure there was an elevator hidden away somewhere. I really didn't want to pay the $12/person either.

My other goal was to get a Pony Express stamp for my National Park Passport. The visitor center did not have it out and I didn't ask for it. I did get several pamphlets about Nebraska and the Lincoln Highway. The visitor center docent wanted to know if we were interested in the crane migration and we were not. Kearney is one of spots to see the large crane migration every year.



The gift shop was okay. We were looking for a coffee mug for grandma and they didn't have any. The magnets and postcards really didn't really scream buy me. Maybe I was just tired and done with traveling. 

But there was a covered wagon to check out.

Outside are several sculptures of early America and the Great plains.



Despite not going into the Archway, it was a nice stretch break. It is definitely worth checking out and pay the $12 to go through the museum. You get one of those hand held audio wands to carry around. 


No comments:

Post a Comment