Saturday, October 19, 2019

Cafe Hopping in Green Bay

When a friend was looking for people and activities to celebrate her birthday next month, I made a mental note. When a Facebook event intrigued me, I contacted her saying "I know your birthday isn't til next month but how does a cafe walk sound" I sent her the details and she was like "Free? Coffee?".

Now I don't drink coffee.. never really acquired the taste for it but a cafe walk to various cafes in Green Bay to sample coffee, hot beverages, and treats sounded like a good way to spend a Saturday morning.



Downtown Green Bay and Cellcom sponsored the Cafe Walk. You pick up your punch card and can visit 8 different cafes in downtown Green Bay. There were 3 on the west side of the river and 5 on the east side. Everything was within relative walking distance and there was a trolley that took you to each stop. Not familiar with downtown Green Bay and poor map reading skills, we relied on Googlemaps for most of it.

We visited the following cafes

The Cannery -- It featured a dark roasted coffee. My friend, T, really liked it. I took longer to drink it. I was not a fan but I drank it all.





Kavarna -- You could have either coffee or Chaider. The Chaider was popular and we had to wait for it. The coffee was good T said. Chaider is chai tea and apple cider. It was actually really good and I'm not a fan of hot apple cider.



Monzu Bakery -- This was the only place without a beverage. There were scones to sample. Very yummy scones. I had bacon cheddar. If T and I didn't promise to save our money for the candy store at the end, I totally would have gotten a macroon.



The Attic -- They actually had several different teas to try including chaider. I went with Once Upon a Tea which was a tea with chocolate hints. T and I felt the teas were really watered down. If we actually got a strong tea here, it might have been better.



Glas -- Green Bay's newest cafe. Again they had two different kinds of coffee. It was really strong. I was not a fan. This was very self serve and a very tiny cafe.



The Creamery -- They served an iced chai latte. O.M.G. This was my favorite by far. I would actually go here and get one in the future. The couple dispensing the drinks were very friendly and helpful. They actually told us how to get to the last two stops.



Daily Buzz -- They had drinks and treats. You could Pumpkin Spice Coffee or an Autumn Refresher which was lemonade and tea plus a cookie or scone sample. The Autumn Refresher was alright but the cookies and creme scone was divine.




Grounded Cafe -- Again we had drinks and treats. They actually had four of the same stations set up around the room so it was not crowded. There was chaider to drink and either a cheese or apple pastry. The apple pastry was so much better than the cheese pastry.



Apparently chaider was the hot new beverage of choice this year. I never even heard of it until the cafe walk. The samples weren't big but it's a sample and it's free so I'm not complaining besides I couldn't drink an 8 oz beverage at all these locations.

I guess in the first year, there were a dozen or more locations instead of the eight we had this year. 8 was actually a good number. It gave you time to walk to the locations because waiting for the trolley was a waste of time and enjoy your drink. You really only 3.5 hours to complete it (8:30-12) and it was pretty close to noon when we finished because of having to wait for the trolley to take us across the river. We didn't get there til 9:15 or so though either.

T and I decided we would do this again but with more people. It would actually be fun with a big group of people. I can't wait til next year so I can arrange for a group of us to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment