Thursday, September 19, 2019

6974. Make Shrinky Dinks

One of the gals in my book club is an artist and is always trying new art forms. She discovered shrinky dinks and incorporated them into her art. Stephanie decided to share her love with shrinky dinks and art with other people by hosting Shrink and Drink nights at local establishments. Her first one was at a brewery and I told her if she ever did one with wine, I'd sign up. A few months later, she posts one from Shrink and Drink at the Mondo Wine Bar downtown bar. Making good on my promise, I sent in my $40 and put it on my calendar.

I never made shrinky dinks growing up. Apparently they were quite popular but like a lot of things I discovered I was a deprived child. Somehow I was thinking (and the ones from my childhood probably were) that Shrinky Dinks are little plastic figures you melted in the oven until their shrunk and then played with them. However, Shrinky dinks is really coloring polystyrene and shrinking the image down.

Since we were adults, Stephanie left it pretty wide open to what we could make. We could free hand a design, we could trace images we found on our phones, she also had clip art books and coloring books for us to use to trace images. Tracing from our phones proved difficult as the image kept being resized as the polystyrene moved and you traced.

I came to the event wanting to make wine charms.. I ended up making WI team themed wine charms.



Making the wine charms was pretty easy.

1. Trace the team logo on the polystyrene. You want the design to be about twice the size that you want the actual item to be as it will shrink. We were told to trace on the shiny side and color on the dull side but it was easier to trace on the dull side since I didn't flip my image.



2. Using colored pencils, color the image on the dull side.



3. Cut out your design using regular scissors and punch the hole in it. Do not forget the hole.

4. Put the polystyrene in the toaster oven and watch the magic happen.



5. Attach whatever hardware you want.. hoops for wine charms, key chains, necklaces, earrings, charm bracelets.



I made a few Christmas presents along with my wine charms.

I have to admit it was pretty fun. I have enough polystyrene to finish a few more projects. When I run out either I have to buy more or go to another Shrink and Drink night.

If you have never been to played with Shrinky Dinks and want to make some fabulous art, I would recommend either buying some polystyrene on Amazon (or even a Shrinky Dink kit) or join Stephanie for a night of shrinking and drinking fun. Heck, she'll even put your jewelry together for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment