Sunday, July 23, 2017

A Day at Baldi Hot Springs

When my plans fell through (again) to go to the beach in Costa Rica, I decided I wanted to see a volcano. Since Paos Volcano was still erupting, I decided to take a tour to Arenal Volcano and Baldi Hot Springs. It sounded like it would be a fun tour.




We first stopped in Sochi to see the World’s Biggest Ox Cart but due to some parade, we couldn’t get there and ended up spending way too much time in a Costa Rican souvenir gift shop than I would have liked. That’s how these things go sometimes.

Lunch was at Rancho Perla in La Fortuna which is the town at the base of the volcano. We had a choice of the usual chicken, beef, seafood or a hamburger. I went with the chicken which was fantastic and the beef looked even better. Dessert was orange dreamsicle ice cream – vanilla ice cream with orange sherbet.




While we waited for everyone to finish eating, I explored the grounds around the restaurant. I saw another bird and a mini alligator. I’m sure they have proper names but I apparently forgot to take a course in Costa Rican wildlife during college.





After lunch we headed to Arenal Volcano. It was a short trail to an observation area -- and they even provided walking sticks…probably for the longer hikes through the lava fields but It was still fun to use one. It was a very cloudy day and Arenal was shrouded in clouds. I didn’t even get to see the famous volcano.






Then it was time for the hot springs. Baldi Hot Springs is a resort that features several different hot springs fed from water from the volcano.  It is actually the world’s largest hot springs. There are waterfalls in just about each of the pools. Some pools have water slides while others feature a swim up bar.



I spent most of my time up at the highest hot springs which feature a lounging surfaces in the pool and as well as a waterfall. Some would find this one to be too hot but I liked it.




Even though I spent most of my time in the higher hot springs, I did go in all of the others except for the children’s area and the Hot tubs. I wish I had more than about 2 hours to truly enjoy the place – or people I actually knew to hang out with.  












I also went down 2 of 3 water slides… I refused to go down the 3rd… People told me it is an adventure. Mandy saw people come shooting out of and skip across the water like stones on a pond. Even Mandy, who will do just about anything, had to have a few drinks in her before she would go down.




Because I was with a group strangers I latched on a trio of older people. One of them liked to hike and explore. We explored one of the paths around the hot springs. It wasn’t a very long path but it did let us see the foliage and some cool plants.







Overall it was a fun but tiring day. I am disappointed that I did not get to see Arenal Volcano but that’s what happens when you go to Costa Rica in the rainy season – you never know what you’re going to be able to see. I would love to go back and try one of the other tours in Arenal – ziplining tubing, or even ATV’ing. The area offers so much to do and I barely scratched the surface.  I would highly recommend seeing Arenal when you’re in Costa Rica because I heard it’s amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment