Sunday, March 19, 2017

An Afternoon History Lesson: Tunnel, Smuggle, Collect

Periodically the area libraries have author visits in addition to book festival. Most of time there are either when I am working or I am not interested in the book. When I saw that the Appleton Public Library was hosting Jeffrey Gringold, I wanted to go even though I never heard about him before. His book Tunnel, Smuggle, Collect: A Holocaust Boy was right up my alley. Although my relatives were long settled in America and not even Jewish, I love reading and learning about Holocaust, especially survivor stories.

Tunnel, Smuggle, Collect: A Holocaust Boy by [Gingold, Jeffrey N.]

Jeffery's father and grandparents were Polish Jews in Warsaw in 1939. Tunnel, Smuggle, Collect: A Holocaust Story is the story of their escape from the Warsaw ghetto. Before the family escaped, Jeffery's father, who was only 7 or 8 at the time, traveled the tunnels to trade goods on the black market... a baby aspirin, a nub of carrot, anything that would help keep the family alive.

As author talks go, I was slightly disappointed that Jeffery only talked about 30-40 minutes. Sure the program was scheduled for an hour but I really hoped it would go longer. What he did talk about though was very informative. He tried not to spoil the book at all... except he did say his Dad did survive. Even with the Q&A session, he didn't want to give away too much of the book. Although he didn't want to spoil the book, Jeffery did read 2 parts of the book that give you insight into the story. What he did read was very interesting and I can't wait to read the book.



After the talk, Jeffery stuck around to autograph his book which was for sale. I am one that normally doesn't buy books at these events as I feel most of these events are sales pitches to get you to buy a book. Because it was a book I was actually interested in, I was more than willing to buy it and besides all the royalties go back to Holocaust Education and research



One of the messages Jeffery stressed was to get your family's story. Talk to your parents and grandparents and get their stories. It might not be as exciting or challenging as the Gringold's story but it is still important to hear their stories. Record it and save it. You don't have to do anything with it. Maybe one day someone will have the desire to share it. 

Now thinking of what he said, I was like we have no story but as I am writing this do I really know how my parents met? What their first date was? What about my grandparents, who are long dead, how did they meet? Maybe I don't have a real story to tell but the family history story is still a story and maybe one day I will ask these questions..

No comments:

Post a Comment