Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Craxi at the Movies: The Girl on the Train

Normally I don’t go to the movies but since book club was reading The Girl on the Train, I really wanted to see how it compared to the book preferably before book club. Erin and I decided to take advantage of the $5 Tuesdays at Marcus and go see the movie.

The movie was okay. It did stick to the book really well and it was nice to visualize the scenes in the book but the movie itself seemed to lack continuous flow. The story flowed fine but the scenes at times seemed choppy. There were a lot of random, brief sex scenes and always with guy taking the girl from behind. Like the book, the movie was shot from different character’s perspectives. I understand that is how the book was written but the writers could have written the entire script from one perspective and not jump around. I think that’s what made the movie jumpy.

There were some minute differences between the book and the movie that unless you read the book and saw the movie, you won’t have picked up on. The book is set in London where the movie is in New York. One of the scenes in the movie took place at Rachel’s house instead of xxx’s house which kind of was creepier. The final scene was similar to the book but did have minor details changed enough to drive me nuts. However, the way the book ended and the way the movie ended were the same. The murderer was the same person. All the major details were kept in place.

If I didn’t read the book and just saw the movie, I would have said the movie was horribly done but with the knowledge I gained in reading the book, it helped me tolerate the movie. If it was a low-budget film, it definitely showed through. I knew going in the reviews weren’t great but I thought maybe they were wrong. There were spot on.

I’m glad I went to the movie and hopefully others at book club did too so I can hear what they thought of the movie. Everyone that read the book on Facebook, loved it so I’ll be curious of what people think at book club regarding the book and the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment