Saturday, May 14, 2016

Books and Brews: The Rosie Project

When the cookbook club at the Neenah Library finally ended due to lack of participation, I was on the look out for a new cookbook or book club. I saw something on Facebook about a book club at a coffee shop in Little Chute that was hosted by the Kimberly-Little Chute Library. The book they were reading for May sounded interesting. That's how I ended up at Seth's Coffee Thursday night talking about a book with a bunch of strangers...something I would normally not do.


The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion is about Don, a genetic professor, who is on a quest to find a wife but gets sidetracked by Rosie who wants to find her biological father. Don is very orderly and follows a strict routine whereas Rosie is a complete opposite. Don finds Rosie the most beautiful woman he ever laid eyes on and goes out of his way to help find her father even though it distracts him from finding a wife.

This is a laugh out loud book because of Don. He puts 100% effort into whatever he does whether it is learning how to ballroom dance before a date or learning how to bar tend to help Rosie with the Father Project. He breaks his routine and in the process betters himself.

I really enjoyed the book and decided to check out the book club. I am glad I did. Even though I was the new girl, it was not uncomfortable. The moderator and everyone was very nice. We kept going off topic because the other 7 people have been together since the beginning and knew each other quirks.

We talked about the discussion questions and laughed about some of the more cheesier questions.. like what was your best day in your life. Because we met in the back room of the coffee shop, people would walk by and at one point in time someone made a comment "Testicles..." and I was like "yeah, yeah Testicles". Wouldn't you know that someone walked by at the moment. We got some looks and that set us off into a fit of giggles.

Before we ended for the evening, we decided on the next 3 months' books. We all scrolled through out phones and tried to come up with what we were going to read. We did settle on the next three books.

I will definitely be going back. The group is fun. I enjoyed my evening. I just need to plan on not getting home much before 8:30. Now to find a copy of "And Then There Were None"....

No comments:

Post a Comment