Sunday, April 11, 2021

5356. See the sturgeon spawn on the Wolf River

 The news said the sturgeon were making their annual spawning run from the dam in Shawano back to Lake Winnebago and if you wanted to go see them you had about a three day window. I have always wanted to see the sturgeon run especially after I saw how active they were on Friday when the OM from work went to see them. I made plans with Rick and Shannon to go see them in Shiocton.

We met up at Bamboo Bend in Shiocton. I asked our OM where to park and she told me there was a bigger parking lot across the road from Bamboo Bend. I was thinking many rows with room for a lot of cars. Yeah, two rows. I got lucky and someone was walking to their car as I pulled in the lot so I just waited. I was afraid it was going to be difficult to leave but it wasn't too bad. I lucked out.

We must have caught the tale end of the sturgeon run because they weren't that active. Shannon and I were like this is boring. We were trying to find a dark, prehistoric fish in murky water along with hundreds of other people. Yawn...

We actually did see a few fins. 



I saw a sturgeon jump but didn't catch it on camera. I saw the splash of another sturgeon landing after jumping. 

This year the sturgeon ran early. It is usually another week or two before they run. It was quite the sight to see though. 

Word to the wise, when they say the sturgeon are running, run your butt out to Shiocton or New London to see them that day because if you wait a day or two you might be waiting a while to see anything. Hopefully I will get to see them run again and maybe this time they will be active.


No comments:

Post a Comment