Saturday, November 14, 2020

458. Make jam

 When we were helping Janis make pickles, she asked if we wanted to help make pepper jam. I've never made jam but always wanted to. I would have preferred to make like raspberry jam but jam is jam. 

I've never made jam because of the quantity of jam produced. If I wanted to make jam, I would only want a jar or two but jam making produces many jars of jam. I could probably give them away but to be all the material to make jam would not worth the expense in my opinion. I am not a jam eater anyways.

Pepper jam is made from red, green, and jalapeno peppers. Janis actually had all the peppers chopped up and frozen ahead of time. That saved a lot of time. You want your peppers in small pieces so dices them in the food processor works great.

In a large pot, mix the peppers, apple cider vinegar and pectin. Bring to a boil and add sugar. Then boil for 2-3 minutes.

Then you need to fill the jars. An ice cream scoop works great because the mixture will be liquidy. You want that liquid. It helps set the jam since it is full of sugar and pectin.


After filling, wiping off the jars, and sealing the jars, the get water processed for 15 minutes. Set a timer. You do not want to forget how long they have been in the water. Once they are done in the bath, let them cool and mature for about two weeks before enjoying.

Besides chopping all the peppers and processing, the pepper jam is relatively quick to make. Since only a few jars can fit in the water bath at time, processing can take forever since they have to process for 15 minutes. It is a great time to drink wine and catch up with your fellow jam makers. Flying solo.. grab a cup of your favorite beverage and read a book.

It might be a while before I sample the pepper jam. I am not a big fan of peppers and the hubby won't touch them at all. I am thinking to gift some of them. I will eventually try it. I can not sample my morning's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment