Thursday, December 17, 2015

Holey Moley Donuts

When planning our cookie baking weekend, Stacy decided we should at least go to Holey Moley for Donuts. All I needed to read was donuts. I like donuts especially good donuts. She said they open at 6 am and stay open until they run out. We stopped Sunday morning on the way to lunch since it is located in the Third Ward downtown Milwaukee. I was really looking forward to trying Holey Moley.



What I was not expecting was to pay $2.25-$2.50 a donut. Luckily Stacy got a 1/2 dozen first and I learned that these things were not cheap. I got 4 donuts for just over $10. I could get a dozen at Manderfields for that price. I get it that they were "gourmet" or craft donuts so I was willing to pay a little more but I still thought it was a bit steep for a donut.

By the time we got to Holey Moley, it was around noon and they had about 6 varieties left. Every day there is a new selection. I was excited to see Boston Creme. I wanted to try the salted whiskey chocolate even though I hate salt. I thought about the chocolate cherry until I saw the dried cherries on top. It was not what I was expecting. The other donut I decided to get was the gingerbread even though I am not a huge fan of gingerbread. It was the only other one that sounded remotely appealing.



I brought my douuts back home to share with the hubby. Maybe sitting 8 hours in a cardboard box affected the taste but let me tell you, those donuts were not worth $2.50. I forgot when something says "salted" there's actual salt on top. UGH. GROSS. All I tasted was salt. The donut was ok. I didn't taste any whiskey which was disappointed. The Boston Creme was also disappointing. It's the one the hubby tried (I had the other the next morning) and he was not impressed. The filling was not the traditional Boston Creme filling. It was thicker and reminded me of glue. It had a flavor to it that I couldn't recognize just turned me off to the filling.

After eating the other 2 donuts, I didn't have high expectations for the gingerbread which was a good thing because the gingerbread was so overpowering that I found it nearly inedible. I had to eat it in small increments and never even finished the donut. I let the hubby tried it and he choked it down. I do have to say it was still fresh the next day.

The gingerbread donut....at least it looked good

I guess we are not craft donut people. If I worked in Milwaukee and someone brought Holey Moley donuts in, I wouldn't say no to one. Even if Stacy or someone else said let's get donuts from Holey Moley I would be willing to go and give it another shot. I just know I would be getting 1 donut and eating it fairly quickly. For now, I will stick with my Manderfield donuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment