Saturday, December 19, 2015

#899 Go to Wisconsin Dells for weekend

Last Christmas my brother thought instead of exchanging gifts between us siblings we should spend the weekend in the Dells this year and just exchange gift cards. Finding a weekend that worked for everyone, especially the hubby was easier than we thought. The hubby had a basketball game scheduled in the Dells and it was T’s weekend off. My brother booked us a condo at the Wilderness on the Lake.

Photo Courtesy of Wilderness Website

The biggest problem with doing a weekend in Dells in December is very little is open. With the nice weather this year, it would have been nice if mini golf or some of the off the wall attractions were open. Besides hiking at Devil’s Lake, the other things I really want to do in the Dells Area are the Clown Hall of Fame and the UFO Museum were closed for the season.

Because the hubby had a basketball game in Manawa on Friday, we didn’t get to the Dells until 11 on Friday night. We stayed up a little bit catching up with everyone that was still up. Then we crashed. So nothing exciting happened on Friday.

On Saturday, Shannon made us breakfast of waffles, bacon, and sausage. Then we made plans for the day. Some wanted to go to the waterpark or shopping. I wanted to go to Devil’s Lake. We split up and some went hiking and the rest went to Ripleys. After hiking, we stopped at the outlet mall. The hubby got a new jacket and I got a new Adidas sweatshirt. The outlet mall is an outdoor covered mall so it’s still chilly but you’re still protected from the elements. There was even a fire at one end.

Hiking the Ice Age Trail

Devil's Lake

Once we were done shopping, we stopped at Hot Dog Avenue for lunch. If you weren’t looking for it, you might miss it. Hot Dog Avenue is set back a bit from the road in between two hotels. It is a Chicago hot dog stand with Italian beef and other sandwiches. The food is good. I was slightly disappointed that I didn’t have a Vienna hot dog in my Chicago Dog but it was still good. The hubby had a Philly steak, which he said was very good. B&T had Italian beefs which is the whole reason we stopped here. They wanted the Italian Beef Sandwiches. The fries were very good. I’m very particular about my French Fries and these exceeded my expectations.

Photo courtesy of Hot Dog Avenue website

After lunch, we headed back to the condo and changed so we could go to the water park for a little bit. We hopped on the shuttle to take us over to the Wilderness and the water park with the wave pool. T wanted to go to the wave pool. I just wanted to go down a slide. I figured the hubby would enjoy the lazy river.  We could find a spot to put our stuff by the lazy river so we walked over the wave pool. After finding a spot to put our stuff, the waves were almost over. We waited for the next set of waves. Once the waves started, T and I let the waves wash over us from behind. BIG MISTAKE. I had a wardrobe malfunction that the hubby had to fix. Hopefully I caught it before I flashed too many people.  Once my strap was back in place, we headed back to the lazy river. I got to go down a slide. It was super fast and by the time I got used to the speed, it was over. I didn’t’ feel like climbing all the steps again to go down again. We tried to find tubes for the lazy river but there were none. We just hung out in the hot tub until the hubby got pruny. The hubby ran into his old baseball partner. He can’t go anywhere without knowing someone. The water park was ok. Way too crowded for my liking and not a whole lot of fun. There were other water parks we could have took another shuttle too but they were probably just as crowded.

Photo Courtesy of Wilderness Website

Once we got back to the condo, it was nearly time for the hubby to go to basketball. We headed over to Just a Game Fieldhouse for Marshall vs. Wisconsin Dells Girls. We met his partner there. I watched most of the game. It was a good game. After the game was over, we checked out the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame which is housed in Just a Game. It was nice to recognize a few names and see who has been added since the last time we were there.


Old School Scoreboard in the Lobby

We stopped at Moosjaw for pizza. The best things were the quick soda and the homemade soda. The pizza was awful. The crust was dense and it seemed like it was baked all the way through. We asked for light sauce and it was still way too saucy for our liking. I could pick out individual pieces of shredded cheese yet so you know it was completely melted. It was warm not piping hot like pizza should be. The hubby thought the sausage and pepperoni was something you’d find on Tombstone or other frozen pizza. The sausage looked good and I thought it was the best part of the pizza but it was too commercialized for the hubby. He believes that if you are going to claim to have homemade pizza, you better have homemade or at least fresh sausage and not sausage you buy in bulk from the cheapest distributor. Yes, we are pizza snobs.

It was not as good as it looks

Once we got back to the condo and everyone else tricked in, we did the gift card exchange. We ended up initially we 2 Kohl’s gift cards but traded one of them for Walmart. That would work. The gift cards were a good idea in theory but too many people ended up with the ones they brought.  

After watching the Bucks beat the undefeated Warriors, we called it a night. In the morning we headed out early as I had plans to have Christmas with a couple friends and the hubby had basketball. We stopped for a quick breakfast at McDonald’s. Then it was onto Goody Goody Gum Drop for a quick candy stop. We weren’t impressed. It had a lot of gummy and other similar candy but the chocolate selection wasn’t that impressive. There were maybe 8 kinds of mini truffles. The dark chocolate selections were ok but nothing really that Grandma would eat. The hubby didn’t get anything for himself. I guess we are spoiled with Oak’s.


Trees in Goody Good Gum Drops


Overall it was a nice weekend. I’m sure we’ll do it again. I know I want to get to the International Clown Hall of Fame and the UFO Museum. I don’t need a whole weekend to do that. I can pass on the water parks. I do want to ride the go Karts at Mt. Olympus. Sounds like another bucket list adventure waiting to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment