Saturday, May 30, 2015

Eat at Sobelman's.

Sobelman's was not on the bucket list but it is Milwaukee institution. When trying to decide on a place for lunch (that was open) on Memorial Day, Stacy's husband suggestion Sobelman's. It claims to be the home of the best burger in Milwaukee. Best Burger had me sold.


Little did we know, Sobelman's was a place to hang out before a Brewer's game and the place was packed. We didn't have any set time table for the Forest Home Cemetery so we didn't mind waiting, besides we didn't really have another option. 

Besides being home to Milwaukee's Best Burger, it is also home to incredible Bloody Marys. They are a meal in themselves. If you have 30 minutes to wait, you could order a pitcher complete with a whole roasted chicken on a stick in it. Stacy had one with bacon wrapped Jalapeno Poppers. I stuck with beer. I am not a fan of tomato juice and didn't want to waste my money on something I wasn't going to like. I should have sampled Stacy's though.

I'm not sure about the competition in Milwaukee but I have to disagree with the fact that they claim to be the best burger in Milwaukee. I think Kopp's are better. My issue started when they didn't ask how I wanted my burger. If you are going to be the best burger, you better give me the option of ordering it medium, medium-rare. Second there was no such thing as a just a Bacon Cheeseburger. I could get a Cheeseburger or a Sobelman which was a bacon cheeseburger with fried onions and diced jalapenos. Despite not liking fried onions or jalapenos, I ordered the Sobelman. I brushed off most of the onions and jalapenos. It wasn't bad but it wasn't out of this world. My burger wasn't juicy. It really didn't have a distinct flavor. I guess in a Food Wars episode AJ Bombers beat Sobelman's for the title of best burger. I've not been to AJ Bombers but based on my burger, I could see how that was possible. 


Maybe I just got a bad burger. Maybe I have grown to love butter burgers. Maybe I am just a burger snob. Whatever it is, it is not enough for me to stop going back but next time I will stick with the plain cheeseburger and maybe even try a Bloody Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment