Friday, February 13, 2015

Flashback Friday #1417: Visit the Field of Dreams Movie Set

In case you didn't know it, I like baseball. Even before I met the hubby, I've liked baseball and now that love has grown. I like all things baseball. Once I even went to a Jacksonville Suns game because I had nothing better to do. So when planning our girls' weekend in Galena, I started looking at other things to do on the way home. It turns out the Field of Dreams movie set was only about an hour outside of Galena and they play baseball games on Sundays. I was sold and added this as a stop on the itinerary.

I really didn't know what to expect except I knew it was a baseball field in the middle of a cornfield where you could take infield, take batting practice, catch fly balls all on the baseball field. That is pretty much what goes on all day every day. People show up to play on the field, walk out of the corn, and relive the movie. It would have more fun if the hubby came with me. This is a great stop for baseball loving families on a road trip.
Playing catch in the outfield

Like I mentioned, on Sundays when the corn gets high enough, the players come out and play. Again, it was not what I expected. I thought it would be two teams playing a real game of baseball. It was more of a comedy show. The players, nine of them, come out of the cornfield and everyone gets introduced. Some of them were in the actual movie. Then they pick a dozen or kids from the crowd to be batters. The players take the field. Every kid gets a hit no matter how hard they it (or don't hit it). There are toddlers all the way up to 10 year olds. The players do spoofs and errors to "help" the kids get a hit and they act like nothing is wrong. I was in stitches for most of the time. I only stayed for a few batters since I was expecting a real game and had to get back home. Next time I will plan on spending the entire afternoon there, especially since the players hang around sign autographs and take pictures until everyone leaves.

The players coming out of the corn

There is a small concession stand, souvenir stand, and every small Port-a-Potties in case you need to use the facilities. I purchased a burger, chips, and water for lunch. It was reasonably priced, no different than getting the same fare at a local youth game. I did pick up the hubby a (wrong) t-shirt, some postcards, and few Christmas presents. Prices were not too bad. $17 for shirt, $8 for a mini bat. There was ample parking as well. I did get there early and it did start filling up closer to game time.

Overall it was a great way to spend a few hours on a Sunday afternoon before driving back.

No comments:

Post a Comment