Friday, January 30, 2015

Flashback Friday -- #4002 Go to the National Historic Cheesemaking Center in Monroe

After I left the Mustard Museum, I headed south towards Green County and Monroe. Green County was the only county along Wisconsin's Southern Border that I have not been to and I wanted to hit Green County on the way to Galena since it wasn't really out of my way. Using The State Trunk Tour website, I was able to find several things to see in Green County. It came down to the New Glarius Brewery and the National Historic Cheesemaking Center. I was hoping to stop at both but due to the lack of time, I had skipped the brewery. Drinking and driving (even just a sampler of beers) and heading into Illinois with Wisconsin plates was probably not the smartest thing to do when having to go through several small Illinois towns.
I know what you are thinking, you skipped free beer for cheese? However, I believe I made the right choice. I am not a big beer drinker to begin and I think the brewery would be fun with a group of people. The Cheese Making Center was not quite what I was expecting but it was totally worth the stop. It was much better than the mustard museum. My tour guide was very knowledge and made the tour even that more interesting.

When I got to the Center, I was the only one waiting for a tour. They basically run tours as people show up. By the time I left, we had 6 or 7 people in our group. People joined the tour as they arrived. Although we did not get to sample any cheese, we did learn how the people of Green County made Swiss Cheese when they settled in the area. There was a lot of artifacts and pictures. The tour guide took time to explain everything and if I had more time, he would have gone more in depth. We ended the tour in the cheese factory where once a year they make cheese the old fashioned way.


If you are ever in Green County, the National Historic Cheesemaking Center is definitely worth a visit. Next time I'm in Green County, I want to visit all the little cheese shops that still dot the countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment