Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Magazine Crafting at the Library

February is turning out to be a very creative month for me. First I made a glass pendant, then I wove a basket, now I decided to try a magazine craft. I saw that Neenah Public Library was hosting a magazine craft event and I was free. Danielle said she was interested too and came along.


When we arrived at the library, we were shown the various crafts we could do but neither us made it past the Chevron collage. This is what was shown as an example on the event page on Facebook and this is what I came to do.

Even though it sounds rather simple, the chevron collage was more time consuming than I initially thought. I almost immediately decided I wanted to do a dessert themed collage to put in the kitchen and started hunting for pictures of colorful desserts in magazines. That was a bit of a problem because a lot of the desserts had a brown hue to them. I did manage to find some colorful pictures to break up the monotonous browns. Someone even gave me a picture of rolling pins.



Once I collected enough pictures it was time to cut them in strips to make the chevrons. I can’t cut a straight line to save my life so this proved interesting. I should have used the paper cutter but instead cut one strip as a template and traced it on the other magazine pages. It was too FAT and I ended up free-hand trimming most of the strips.

Then it was time to attach the strips to the canvas using modge-podge. Apparently I have no clue what a chevron looks like because instead of a nice “W” pattern, I got more of a “L” pattern. I made it my own. It actually turned out very cool. The best part was being able to slather the whole thing with modge-podge to seal in my work.



The library facilitator asked if we would be interested in more craft nights and we all said we would. We may have to bring our own supplies but if they provide the materials, I will be all about being crafty. I kept joking they need to have 4 more of these so I can finish my set of collages in the kitchen…. in the mean time I will be looking for pictures of cheese, pasta/pizza, meat, and fruits/vegetables to complete my set.

No comments:

Post a Comment