Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Dot by Dot -- Painting Rock Mandalas



Apparently one of the hottest library event in the area is Rock Mandalas. Kaukauna Library had one in the fall and people literally were waiting outside the library to sign up before the library opened. So when I saw Menasha Library was offering the same program, I jumped on it and signed up without looking at a calendar. Oops.. it was the same night as the Red Smith Banquet that we were possibly going to. Turns out Red Smith Tickets were $50/person and we decided to stay home. I went to the library and the hubby watched TV.

Mandala is actually sacred practice engaged by Tibetan monks and many other cultures. It has become mainstream with mandala coloring books and now mandala rocks.

Image result for rock mandalas
Photo courtesy of Google

The easiest form of Mandala rocks is creating a picture with dots of varying sizes. Most of them look like a flower pattern or insects.

We were given very basic directions.. pick out your paint colors, paint your rock a solid color (usually black).. figure out your design.. paint your design by adding dots of varying sizes to your rock using different objects (dowels, cotton swabs, tooth picks, pencil erasers)

Okay.. I usually need more instruction than that but I went to town. Because I was having so much fun there are limited pictures.

Painted rocks black.

Googled design since the examples seemed a bit scary.

Dotted rock with paint. Let dry and worked on the other rock.



Went back to the first rock and added more dots. I wasn't satisfied with how it looked.

Making teeny tiny polka dots on rocks with a toothpick is oddly relaxing.

I think they turned out pretty good. I need to work on my spacing but it kind of looks like a Mandala.




I may need to invest in some rocks and dowels and make a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment